Friday, August 2, 2013


Step 7 - The Braid Border

I hope you’ve all enjoyed making this quilt as much as I’ve enjoyed designing it and sharing it with you! 

The braid border, in my opinion, this is another pretty easy border. Quite a bit of sewing, but simple sewing!

Cutting Instructions:

From one scrap of a dark or medium, cut 1 - 2 1/2” square, for the starting block.

2” strips - From all of your mediums and darks, you will need around 40 strips, give or take a few.

Counter cut those strips into 2” x 5” units, you will need around 320. You can stack several of these strips together and cut a few at once.


From one dark, cut 4 - 5 1/2” squares for corner blocks.

Sewing Instructions:

Starting with that one 2 1/2” square, stitch one of the 5” strips to one side of it. Finger press the seam allowance towards the 5” strip. 


Sew another strip to the adjacent side, which starts the braid. Alternating sides, continue to add the strips. Finger press the seam allowances as you go towards the new strip. 

Just keep on sewing, and adding strips. At some point, you’ll want to measure it and see if you think you might have enough for one side, just keep on sewing lol!!

At this point, you should measure the width and the length of the quilt, write down the measurements, you’ll need the later. 

You will need two borders, cut to the length of the sides of the quilt. This border is going to have alot of give, because the fabrics in the border are being attached on the biased edge rather than the straight. Therefore you will need to make sure that you don’t stretch the border when you measure it against the quilt. I laid my quilt out flat on the floor, and laid the border against one side making sure nothing was over stretched. Then I cut the border flush with the ends of the quilt. Repeat with the opposite side. 

At this point, you have to cut off the excess from the sides of your borders. Lay the border right side up on your cutting matt. Start with the bottom of the border strip. You’re going to cut the right side of the border off. The border will measusre 5 1/2” wide when you’re finished cutting. Find the centre of the width of the border. Align the 2 3/4” line of your ruler along the centre of the border. 
( Just a note: My finger pointing here in the picture is not in any particular spot, I should have pointed out the 2 3/4” line)

Trim off the access from the right hand side. Slide the ruler up the fabric and continue cutting, using the centre as the guide. Once you’ve completed the right side, turn the border and repeat the process trimming off the opposite side. 

Attach these two borders to either side of your quilt. Press the seam allowances towards the border. 

The width of the quilt (before the side borders were attached), that you made a note of earlier, is needed here. Cut two more borders that length for the top and bottom of your quilt. Trim off the excess from the sides of the border as you did for the side borders. Attach one of the four 5 1/2” squares to either end of these two borders. They will be the corner blocks. Attach the borders to the top and bottom of the quilt. Press the seam allowances towards the borders. 

WOW!! You’re all done! Congratulations! You have rocked this quilt!


PDF file here








14 comments:

  1. Lovely design, it looks great! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Thank you.
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great border, thank You!!!
    This quilt will be wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have loved making this quilt! Thanks so much for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for this quilt! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darlene, this is a perfect border to finish the quilt. Thank you so much for a wonderful QAL! The quilt was so much fun to make from the start and only got better! I still have the checkerboard to do but hope to start sewing soon! Again, thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last border is perfect! This will be my first time making a braid. Thanks for all your time and creativity that you have shared with so many. So generous of you! I thoroughly enjoyed following along and I am so glad I did, because now I will have an awesome quilt. I am off now to start cutting. Thanks again Darlene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful quilt! Thank you for having a quilt along. I have learned a lot. It is very rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the braid border, Darlene! I'm pretty far behind on this quilt... I need a day to devote just to it and get back on track! I'll say it again... I need to retire!!! Thanks for being such a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. pdf wouldn't open (bad link?)--love the braid! (but not quite ready for it--got a late start, I'm afraid)

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great QAL. The last border is great. Never did a braid before so this will be my first. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has been a great quilt to watch grow. I am kicking myself in the rear for not making it along with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's gorgeous, Darlene. Thanks so much for doing this for us. I hope mine looks half as good as yours when it's done!

    You rock, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never made a braid yet, so this will be fun. I am about to start step 4, but I am not stressing too much about it. I hope to be able to catch up soon. I am making mine from xmas fabrics, so my goal is to have it finished and ready to use for this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete