Sunday, July 28, 2013

Yard Sale Find!

Last Saturday morning dawned bright and beautiful. My sister, cousin and I headed out to the Farmer's Market in beautiful Annapolis Royal. It was absolutely beautiful there! We made the rounds, enjoyed a yummy potato pancake and sausage, and then made the rounds again to pick up a couple of pastries for later!

From there we headed farther into the valley to hit a couple of Frenchy shops. We stopped at one yard sale, and WOW, I hit treasure. There on the table was this Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt flimsy zipped into a protective bag. I couldn't believe my eyes. The tag said "Old, Needs Repair" and then there was another little tag that said $5. I snapped that baby up pretty quickly! I wasn't too concerned about the "needs repair" part. What I could see from the outside of the bag, looked great.


Anyway, I was anxious to get home and open it up. I love that it has "red' centres, you know I LOVE red!! It's so soft and very delicate,


I would love to know exactly how old it is and I may be able to find out more about it. I recognized the man at the yard sale from a local business so may be able to get some more info from him. He told me there that his grandmother made it. It's a beauty for sure!



So, you can see here that a few of the centres have come unsewn, and there is a bit of fraying around those edges. From what I can see, there are 8 centres like this one that needs repair. An easy fix, I would say! I'll put it away for now and finish up some of these other projects that I've got on the go. Hopefully in the winter I'll have time to make it whole again, and have it quilted.

12 comments:

  1. That's such a treasure...lucky you to have snatched it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no expert, but some of those fabrics look like feedsack from the 30's??? Regardless of it's age, it is truly a found treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope that once your repairs are done that you plan on hand quilting it. It looks to be a fair size and for 5 bucks, is a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great find, I am happy you found it.
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That deserves a congratulations! What a beauty! And I am loving your little baskets! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great find! Glad the two of you found each other--

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a find. Love those types of treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great find. Lucky you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are one lucky lady! A real gem you found there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you found this wonderful quilt. It makes me sad when people don't know the treasures they have. For only $5.00 you get to breathe new life into it. That certainly made it a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete