Thursday, April 4, 2013

Mystery Quilt Step #4

Here we are at step 4 already! Now in my opinion, this is one of the easiest steps throughout the whole process. Just a couple of simple techniques! And it’s only going on the ends of the quilt, the top and bottom, so that we add a little more length. So....easy techniques, a little piano key border and half square triangles. I’m adding an abbreviation this time in the instructions to make a bit less typing for me. This “HST” is short for half square triangle.


For the piano keys, cut:

10 strips (all from dark or med/dark fabrics) 1 1/2” x 16” 

Stitch them together, side by side. Press all seam allowances in one direction.


Counter cut these units into 4 - 3 1/2” sections. These sections should measure 3 1/2” x 10 1/2”. Set these aside.



For the HSTs, cut:

20 squares (all from dark or med/dark fabrics) 3 7/8”

Pair the 20 squares into 10 sets. 


Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of one of the squares in each set. 

Stitch the two squares right sides together by stitching 1/4” on either side of the drawn line. 

Chain stitch these to speed things up a bit. 

Cut directly on the diagonal line. 



Press the seam allowances towards the darker of the two triangles. This will result in 20 HSTs. At this point, they should measure 3 1/2”. You may need to square them up to that measurement.

Arrange 10 of the HSTs in one long strip. Stitch them together. Repeat with the other 10 HSTs. 

On either end of the HST strips attach one of the piano key units that you made earlier. Repeat with the other two units.


Your completed border strip should measure 3 1/2” x 50 1/2”. Attach to the top and bottom of the quilt. Press the seam allowances toward the border.

There you have it! At this point, the quilt should measure 50 1/2" x 60 1/2"








13 comments:

  1. Looking good, how big will the finished quilt be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Pretty! I was afraid I was going to have to wait until next Friday. I can't wait to get started. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imdont think I ever linked up last months and I apologize. Here it is ...visit barrtac.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like DD, I'll need to link up on my blog for March, Darlene.
    And it looks like this months addition will go quickly. Thank you Dear Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great border! Love the scrappy look to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks very nice, like it could be hung up on a wall. I am behind, sorry. Haven't felt well, but it's the only one I am working on now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay. Time to own up. I decided (and probably will regret), to NOT do step 3, the applique border. Step 4 should be easy enough to scale down to fit my quilt as it is. How lucky for me that this step is top and bottom only! I know I'm setting myself up for lots of calculating as we move forward, but I always like a good mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this new add !! I have changed my applique border and it'll be finish this wekend, I hope !! thank for this beautiful mystery quilt !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Darlene, another great set of borders! Looking forward to finishing parts 3 and 4 so I will be ready for 5!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Darlene, today I finish this step, wait a month is not simple :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Darlene,

    found just your good bom. Thank you very much for providing this.

    Greeting Guilitta from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not even close to thinking about making this but I am putting the directions in a Word document for "someday". Just wanted to say a big THANKS for doing this. I have enough scraps to make 10 of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. enjoying the mystery quilt..finished step 4 ...I have done every step according to your instructions....pleased with the results..........great job on instructions......

    ReplyDelete