Friday, April 19, 2013

Friendship Quilt

I'm home from my little vacation last week. Myself, my mom, my sister and my aunt travelled to visit another aunt and her family in Ontario. We had an awesome time! So many laughs! So many crazy pictures! So many memories!

I had the pleasure of visiting one quilt shop in Uxbridge, The Quilter's Cupboard. What a beautiful shop it was and very friendly staff. I was surprised and thrilled to learn that one or two of them have been following my blog and checking out the mystery quilt progress.

When we were making up beds one day during the visit, I noticed this old Friendship Quilt.


I spread it out on the floor and realized that it was a quilt that belonged to someone in our family at some point. The blocks are signed by my mom, both of her sisters, her brother, several other members of the family, neighbours and a few whose names we didn't recognize.







We assumed it had belonged to my grandmother but at closer look, I think that she has her block signed as Sister Dorothy, so I'm thinking it must have belonged to one of her siblings. Two of the blocks are signed Mother Wright and Mother Shortliffe, so it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out which sibling it belonged to. Hopefully my mom will know.



I love it, and when my aunt that we were visiting realized how much it meant to me, she told me I could have it. I was thrilled but had to leave it there until another time when someone is travelling with a car rather than flying, we just didn't have space for it. Next summer, hopefully a cousin will be down this way for a family reunion and they'll bring it to me then. Most of the blocks have a year along with the signature but we can't figure out what the year represents. We do know they're not a birth date and not a marriage date so that's a bit of a puzzle.

One of the blocks was signed by a neighbour of mine Clara, and I'm hoping she'll be able to spread a little more light on it for us.


11 comments:

  1. How lovely to have a treasure like this in your family, can you imagine in a few hundred years from now all the lovely quilts that will become family heirlooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you found this 'historic' quilt. Now it has found a new home where it will be properly cared for for future generations. Lucky you!! Lucky quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasure!!! I hope it makes it to your home quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great find! So glad you get to have it for yourself. Wonderful piece of history and sentimental value.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a treasure indeed, Darlene. I never would have left it there. I would have mailed it home.

    And the blocks are churn dash...my favorite! How lucky you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice discovery and mystery
    Why was the quilt made?
    Who was it made for?
    Who are the people who signed it
    How is it at your aunts house
    When will you tell us the rest of the story
    Have you dated the quilts fabrics?
    The pattern and fabrics are lovely and the quilt (to me) looks well used which also means well loved
    I do hope you'll be able to find the answers to your questions and share with us

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful find! I hope your neighbor will be able to give you some more information about it. It will be so nice to have the complete story behind it. A true treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Darlene...you are now rich! It's great that your aunt recognized how much it meant to you and gave it to you. Anxious to see it at the guild. Marie Amirault

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous find. I love the idea that history can be found in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete