Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Legacy

If you've read the info about me in the sidebar, you know I come from a long line of quilters. This week, we said goodbye to my dear Aunt Lennie, who was my Dad's sister. I loved her so much. And she was a wonderful quilter, stitcher and crafter!


Several years ago one evening while she and my family were visiting with my parents, she brought out a bag and told me that she had decided that I should have this. "This" was the most beautiful Double Wedding Ring quilt. She made it 1939-1940 as her own wedding quilt. It's in immaculate condition! I was thrilled to receive it! The pieces are so tiny, I added a shot with a penny for perspective and a close up for detail


I don't use it much, occasionally on the spare bed when I have company but for the most part, I'm afraid to damage it! She and I definitely shared a love of quilting and I'll always cherish the times that we spent visiting together, doing hand work.


Now, I'm not the only niece in the family. There are several others. One in particular that I'm very close to tends to think that I'm a bit spoiled. lol Yes, I guess I am one very lucky girl to own this beauty!

15 comments:

  1. You are a very lucky girl , but I'm so glad the quilt was given to you . If anyone should have got it should have been you , spoiled or not. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can be spoiled to the core, and it's okay, as long as there's no worm in it!! Sorry to hear of your loss, but what wonderful memories you have made to remember your Aunt Lennie by. Her quilt is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't feel guilty about that kind of gift--too precious.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very sorry for the loss of our dear aunt.

    What a treasure this quilt is. It's gorgeous. The double wedding ring is one of my favorite and I especially love it in the thirties prints. What an heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My condolences Darlene and enjoy your beautiful quilt from you Aunt. I wouldn't say you are spoiled I would say you were loved!♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very sorry for your loss. Your beloved aunt gave the quilt to you for good reasons that don't need to be justified. It's a beautiful heirloom quilt to treasure forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about your aunt. What a gorgeous treasure you have go remember her by. It is such an awesome quilt. I am working on a double wedding ring quilt now, I only hope mine can turn out half as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful memories - it's what we have - and the quilt is a visual memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for your loss , I am sure you will miss her dearly . How special that you have her double wedding quilt , it is gorgeous .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am sorry for your loss, Darlene. When your Aunt Lennie gifted you with her quilt, I'm sure that she wanted you to use it and not to hide it away to be used for only special occasions. It is absolutely gorgeous!

    My belief is that quilts were made to be used and loved as I'm hoping mine will be when I'm no longer here. What a treasure you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its a beautiful quilt. I just love the older quilts. They are sometimes prettier than new ones, and softer. All that love Darlene, and so many memories from your Aunt. What a beautiful quilt from someone who lived you much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Darlene, I am sorry for your loss. Your Aunt gave you a wonderful gift in that quilt and I can tell you cherish it dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too would like to add my sympathies and condolences on the loss of your dear Aunt. Use the quilt and know she is smiling down from heaven, knowing you are loving her quilt. Cherish the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When a precious memory is handed to someone to love and cherish as your Aunt did,it is not spoiling but giving the gift to love it as you have and to know they will take care of it forever. Hug it as you would hug her, she loved you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful- you certainly did receive a big part of her to keep. Marie from the Digby guild

    ReplyDelete