Friday, February 8, 2013

Mystery Quilt Step #2

I'm excited to share part 2 with you! I've been MIA over the past week or so, down with this nasty flu bug. And last night when I was putting the finishing touches on the instructions, it occurred to me that with the way I'm feeling, it's hard to tell what I'm typing lol. So hopefully it all makes sense, but if there's something you question, please don't hesitate to contact me.


Darlene’s Mystery Quilt 201
Step #2


From your stash of fabrics, 
  • cut a total of 15 - 5 1/2” squares from the dark and medium fabrics
  • cut a total of 15 - 5 1/2” squares from the light background fabrics
For borders, like last time, you may want to wait and cut these when you get a measurement of the quilt. 
  • cut 2 - 1 1/2” x 36 1/2” strips and 2 - 1 1/2” x 34 1/2” strips of a dark fabric
Using a pencil, draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of each of the 30 light squares.


With right sides together, position a light square onto a dark square being careful to match up all four edges. Stitch (using the drawn line as a guide) 1/4” on either side of the line. You can chain stitch these to speed up the process.


Now using your rotary cutter or scissors, whichever works best for you, cut directly on the drawn line. Now you have two half square triangle units. Press the seam allowances towards the darker fabric. 



On the wrong side of these units you need to draw another diagonal line, in the opposite direction that you’ve sewn the seam.

At this point, you want to work with random units, don’t try to match things up, just keep the scrappy look flowing by going with whatever. 

Position two of the half squares units with right sides together, but with dark and light sides reversed. If your seam allowances are pressed well, they should fit together nice and snug. 


Again, stitch 1/4” on either side of the drawn line. Cut directly on the line. Press. 



At this point, you’ll need to square up the units to measure 4 1/2”, this is very important. All four sides may need a bit taken off to get a good even block.


Now you can start stitching them together, again, don’t be too choosy about what colours go where, you want it to look scrappy. You’ll end up with 30 - 4 1/2” unfinished hourglass blocks. You’ll need 2 strips of 7 blocks and 2 strips of 8 blocks. 

Pin the strips of 7 blocks to either side of your quilt, and stitch in place. Press the seam allowance toward the new border. Pin the 2 strips of 8 blocks to the top and bottom of the quilt. Press. Your quilt at this point should measure 32 1/2” x 36 1/2”

Pin the 36 1/2” borders to either side of your quilt and stitch in place. Press towards the border itself. Continue with the 34 1/2” borders and stitch one onto the top and one onto the bottom of the quilt.

25 comments:

  1. Love step 2
    can't wait to get started on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Darlene. We have one heck of a snowstorm going on here in Ontario today so I think I'll just stay home and get working on step 2.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to get started on this right away. Love hourglass blocks. Thanks Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, Darlene, your quilt is so pretty. I "sew" look forward to this next step. Fun, fun, fun.

    And here's sending you get well wishes. That flu bug is a nasty thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you want to correct the borders - shorter ones on the sides and the longer on the top and bottom - hope you feel better, I had the flu for over a month so I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new addition , thanks so much and do take care of yourself , no fun having the flu . hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are feeling better. Glad we have part 2! kristie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are feeling better and thanks for step 2, Marja

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is going to be gorgeous. I will start cutting my fabrics today. Our entire family...minus my lucky husband...has been down with the flu for weeks. Kids were home last two days with it severe. Hoping today is a better day and that you are feeling better. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness - this already looks awesome! I'm so excited about this quilt. Thanks Darlene - hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darlene dropped hers off at our guild meeting last night and I just have to tell you all that it's going to be a "some gorgeous" quilt. That's a true Maritime expression for those of you who have never had the opportunity to visit Canada's ocean playground.

    Get well soon, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my I am so sorry you are sick with that bug. You are on my prayer list. Let me know when you are better. In the meantime thank you so much for posting when you are ill. I know you will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Darlene, it's beautifull!!
    Cathy of Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Now get better so you will be well enough to share in our excitement over Step 2!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love Step 2! Sorry to hear you arent feeling well. Nice to have this to sew while we are waiting out the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Couldn't wait to get home from work today to visit your blog and print the instructions for step 2! Looking forward to getting started! Enjoy your sewing time during the big snow storm... I hope you don't lose power! Hope you get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this new border !! thank you !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love hourglasses, thanks for this clue!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. J'aime beaucoup vos détails et le choix de vos couleurs.
    Bonne semaine.
    Gisèle du Québec

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is looking great. Thank you.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have seen many quilts but these are all really best of all please share your experience with us about quilts.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  22. Investment Plans to make money online, Online Jobs can make money online from home, Just Visit
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like this new border etc..very nice

    ReplyDelete