Saturday, December 1, 2012

Waste not!

Over the years I've thrown away a lot of little snippets from the projects I've made. Today I was making flying geese to use in morning star blocks. The method I used called for a rectangle and two squares, I'm sure you know the one, but I'm not sure what it's called. Anyway, there is a bit of waste with this method (more snippets) so I decided to save them and use later. It took me about 2 minutes extra in the whole process and just like that, I have enough for a little quilt.


And to save from having to sew the triangles on a biased edge, I made the extra seem before I had cut away the excess. Much easier, and of course working with a bit larger piece it easier too.

     


Can't wait to have a bit of extra time now to see what I can do with them!





5 comments:

  1. I've got a basket full of these bonus snippets. I hate to toss them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fun! I did this with extra pieces from snow ball blocks. Mde a baby quilt, which I will show soon on my blog, and will make the doll quilt for her in a year or so when she can play with it. Can't wait to see what you do with your scraps!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a mini or doll sized HST quilt? One of those is on my bucket list.

    WHatever to decide to do with them will be gorgeous, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see what you do with your snippets. I have a bunch from a quilt a made a couple of years ago - still waiting to be made into something useful. I thought I would just sew them togethern to make a small runner or table mat. Mug rugs are popular these days - that might be an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so many good intentions when I'm quilting. I start out making the additional pieces and dwindling. Next project, I'll be better.

    ReplyDelete